[texbirds] Western Wood Pewee at South Llano River SP

  • From: "Rhandy Helton" <rjhelton@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 May 2014 13:26:25 -0500

I had a definite calling (burry breeer call) and a visual of a Western Wood
Pewee this morning at the South Llano River SP here in Junction. This species
would be considered "rare to very rare" for Kimble County as per M. Lockwood's
publication on Hill Country birds. I wouldn't make the id on this bird unless
it was calling knowing E. Wood Pewee common here. The bird this morning was in
an area where I normally don't get E. Wood Pewee. This is my first record of
the species in the county and preliminary research indicates possible 1st
documented county record. I'll have to do more checking. The weather is very
unsettled today with some west-to-east moving showers and strong north winds.
Also at the park, which was mostly quiet I had:
Black-capped Vireo (5, all heard only and calling very softly)
Red-eyed Vireo 3
Yellow-throated Vireo 1
Vermilion Flycatcher 2
Verdin 4-5
Ash-throated Flycatcher 2
Yellow Warbler 1
Golden-fronted Woodpecker 3

At Junction Wastewater Ponds where turbulent weather pushed some shorebirds
down:

Wilson's Phalarope 30
Stilt Sandpiper (nice, and in breeding plummage)  4
Baird's Sandpiper  5
Lesser Yellowlegs 4
Western Sandpiper 1
Pectoral Sandpiper  3
Franklin's Gull 1

Junction Ingram Tennis Center (habitat around the complex):

Bullock's Oriole 2 (nesting pair)

These are only partial lists for each location.

Rhandy J. Helton
Junction, Tx.