[texbirds] Warbler Woods trip, May 12: Verdin, pelicans and warblers! Oh My!

  • From: Margaret Wallace <pegwallace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 May 2014 13:20:19 -0500

Julia Balinski, Julia Heskett and I went to Warbler Woods on May 12. We
arrived about 8:30 AM, and after checking in, we began with a walk around
First Field, looking for flycatchers. We found what we are pretty sure was
a Least Flycatcher, and several Western Kingbirds. The field also had Lark
Sparrows, and numerous fly-overs by doves, but in all, it was fairly quiet.
Lots of gallardia blooming, and many butterflies, though.

Along the Friesenhahn fenceline, we found a few Yellow Warblers, and Julia
H. caught a glimpse of an oriole. The highlight for me was a short but very
good look at a Verdin. It popped up out of the brush and posed, then
dropped back down. We were not able to get it to come out again, but it did
answer back when Julia B. played Verdin songs and calls. Cool bird, and not
really expected! A bit later, we had answers to calls from Yellow-billed
Cuckoos, and a Roadrunner.

We continued along the fenceline, and as we turned the corner toward the
Old Barn area, Julia H. looked up and spotted a small flock of White
Pelicans. We counted 23. The rest of the walk was fairly quiet, although we
caught glimpses of Common Ground Doves.

Back at Warbler Central, we settled in, and began to get some great views
of Canada Warblers, White-eyed Vireos, a Tennessee Warbler and many other
birds bathing and flitting around. The highlights here were: a gorgeous
first-year male American Redstart; two Canada Warblers (male and female);
at least two Black-throated Green Warblers; a Gray Catbird. Rain was coming
in, and we decided to leave about 4, but as we were loading the car, Don
came out and let us know that a Blackburnian Warbler (one of our
“wish-birds” for the day) had come in. We rushed back and got to see a
beautiful female bathing. Susan reported seeing Wilson’s Warbler, and
Ovenbird earlier in the day, but they didn’t come out while we were there.

Thanks again for letting us (birders in general) come and visit your
wonderful place, Susan and Don!

Our list for May 12:

American White Pelican (23)

Great blue Heron (1)