[texbirds] Re: Travis County Big Year 2012

  • From: Brush Freeman <brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kennya290@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2013 11:29:37 -0600

list...What amazes me equally is that you could manage that in the
spaghetti bowl of traffic that is Austin now,  just too daunting for this
fellow.  I agree on the Hornsby "problem" as well...Just so many people
putting into the system now that I reckon it will remain that way
henceforth....Where else besides Onion Ck WWTP etc. is there for it
go??...One good thing is the outflow keep the river running with that
"sweet" water when the LCRA closes all dams, especially in the dry
summers....Likely some odd catfish , 8 legged frogs etc. down stream though.
  Yes I am a bit bitter about what the Travis Co. parks system allowed to
happen at Big Webberville...I have not been there since mid-Oct.  I just
can't stand to see how they allowed those huge majestic old pecans to die
in such numbers, all the while pouring copious quantities of water onto
completely unused soccer fields almost daily...It will never be the same
for me at "my" old park, especially in migration...Oh well, it is too late
to do anything about it now.

   Went up to Elgin for some post holiday rat killing at the PO...On a whim
I just went on up to Carlson, Manda, almost to New Sweden etc. just to see
if there hawks etc.  Not much, did find a Lark Bunting...probably the best
thing...also a totally smashed DOR owl that from the pale primaries was
likely a Short-eared.  A handful of Horned Larks, not much else.  I was
just birding from the truck.  I did try with Mr. Owl, to pull in some
passerines on Carlson but found that the thin fishing shirt with a T-shirt
I was wearing was not even close in  keeping me warm...Not to mention the
"minnow buckets" (Crocs) I had on my bare feet....Am sure there is far more
up there that I completely over-looked.  I was also into a radio program I
was listening to so was not real focused.

Brush