[texbirds] Santa Ana NWR Glossy Ibis

  • From: John Brush <jsbrush10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2013 19:21:58 -0600

I visited Santa Ana today, ran into and birded for a couple of hours with
Don Glasco over at Pintail Lakes. It took some time, but we both saw the
Glossy Ibis that had been reported (had the blue-white line above eye) with
a group of White-faced Ibis.
Along with the usual gamut of ducks, it was also a good morning for
raptors, with excellent looks at a couple adult Gray Hawks, Red-shouldered
Hawks, Peregrine Falcon, and 7 Harris's Hawks around a mauled coot. On the
walk out, I had a brief but distinguishable look at a female Hook-billed
Kite flying over the park road, with rufous barring, very broad wings,
heavy bill, and dark cap.

--
John Brush
Edinburg, Texas