[texbirds] Burleson County -- White-tailed Hawk

  • From: David Scott <scottrpts@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2013 19:17:14 -0600

I went out to Horizon Turf Farm in Burleson County (just off Hwy 50)
this afternoon and saw some great birds, including a brilliant
adultWhite-tailed Hawk.

There were approximately 9-10 Bald Eagles flying south of the turf
farm--all were immatures.

There were also lots of Am. Pipits, Horned Larks, and Killdeer.

A tip from a local birder helped me locat an immature Red-headed
Woodpecker. The bird was close to the Brazos River (about 100-200
yards after the right hand turn near the end of the turf farm).

I think I saw one Lapland Longspur but the bird was pretty far away. I
spoke with a birder from Tombel who also birding the site and he said
he saw Lapland Longspurs and one Chestnut-collared Longspur. I missed
these birds.

David Scott
College Station, TX