[texbirds] Sabine Woods 4/24/13

  • From: DHanson139@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 23:44:03 -0400 (EDT)

Jan and I hit Sabine Woods around 10 AM to find it a little slow but
managed to pick 2-3 warblers early including a N Parula, Blackburnian and
Black-throated Green. Headed to Sea Rim for Lunch and found it pretty slow
also.
There were a lot of Blue-winged Teal and Boat-tailed Grackles around but
not much else up in the lagoons. The beach had a lot of Royal Terns and
Sanderlings and a few Sandwich Terns. Headed to McFaddin for a few minutes and
the first thing that greeted us was a pretty pink chested Franklin's Gull.
Again  though it was mostly Royal and Sandwich Terns and a few Sanderlings and
Laughing  Gulls with a couple of Herring Gulls mixed in. Sadly while
driving the beach  there we found a dead Kemps-Ridley Sea Turtle that we phoned
in
to NOAA.

Back at Sabine Woods things started picking up late in the afternoon with
us leaving with 13 warbler species and I know we missed Cerulean and
Bay-breasted Warbler seen by others. As John Tharp mentioned about High Island
there were lots of Summer and Scarlet Tanagers and Orchard Orioles with a few
Baltimores thrown in as well.

Would anyone like to look at the last picture here and tell me which
Nighthawk this is. I know default here is Common but just want to check. I have

never seen one perched on a small limb like this one was.

http://hansonnaturephotography.smugmug.com/Nature/Texas-Birds/17293655_vKBNQ
B#!i=2475817089&k=QZtNMrq

List
Swallow-tailed Kite (perching in a tree)
Common Nighthawk
Blackburnian Warbler
Magnolia Warbler
Kentucky Warbler