[texbirds] LaFitte's Cove Wed afternoon, evening

  • From: Carolyn Dill <carolyn_dill@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 20:57:04 -0700 (PDT)

I suspected that wind conditions and the time of the year, when
more migrants arrive later in the day than be present in the
morning, so I got to LaFitte's in Galveston around 2:00 p.m.
Every passing hour got better until there were literally
hundreds of birds, more than you'd ever dream of.  Tanagers, orioles, red eyed
vireos,
buntings. I drove west a bit and saw that much of the area that
had any bushes and trees had colorful birds in them.
After 6 p.m. the flow of warblers in increasing number
of species showed up. I got at least 14 species of warblers and
three vireo. Lesser Nighthawk up in a live oak just to the north of
the nature preserve. Most common warblers started out as
Tennessee and Yellow, changed to a variety. The Lark Sparrow(s)
is still here and Dickcissels have joined him, along with many
Blue Grosbeaks and both buntings. Most birds did not visit the
drips. There were better photo opportunities in the north vacant lot
behind the preserve. In no particular order:

American Redstart
Black throated Green Warbler
Black and white Warbler
Blackburnian Warbler
Bay breased Warbler
Chestnut sided Warbler
Hooded Warbler
Kentucky Warbler
Northern Waterthrush
Ovenbird
N. Parula
Prothonotary Warbler
Tennessee Warbler
Yellow Warbler
Red eyed Vireo
Philadelphia Vireo
Yellow throated Vireo
Acadian Flycatcher
E. Kingbird
Swainson's Thrush
Wood Thrush
Catbird
Yellow bellied Sapsucker
Downy Woodpecker
Lesser Nighthawk
Blue gray Gnatcatcher
Scarlet Tanager
Summer Tanager
Baltimore Oriole
Orchard Oriole
Indigo Bunting
Painted Bunting
Rose breasted Grosbeak
Blue Grosbeak
Cardinal
Mockingbird
Blue Jay
Common Grackle
Bronzed Cowbird
Lark Sparrow
White crowned Sparrow
Dickcissel
Ruby throated Hummingbird
Bank Swallow (over pond, with Barn)
Sora
Mottled Duck
Lesser & Greater Yellowlegs
Solitary Sandpiper
Dowitchers (didn't bother to figure which)
Inca Dove
Euroasian Collared Dove
Great tailed Grackle
flyovers of laughing gulls, royal terns, ducks, swallows, martins

I'm probably forgetting a couple of birds.

Carolyn Dill
Houston