[texbirds] Re: Roma Bluffs WBC is closing

  • From: Mark McClelland <mptjelgin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 May 2014 08:16:39 -0700

My wife and I have volunteered three different winters at both Santa Ana
NWR and Laguna Atascosa NWR.  The staffs at those refuges are relatively
small, and have gotten noticeably smaller over the past couple of years.
 It would be great to be able to continue operations at the previous
levels, but something had to give.
Roma Bluffs is a small, remote site that does not generate the traffic that
most of the other RGV locations do, so it isn't really a surprise that it
got closed.

The Friends Groups down there do a remarkable job of filling in gaps in
funding and offering overall assistance to the refuge operations. I can't
imagine that boycotting those operations would result in any positive
changes.

Mark McClelland
Full-time RV Volunteer
Currently at Farragut State Park