[texbirds] Recent Sightings at the Edinburg Scenic Wetlands

  • From: "Monica Barrera" <mbarrera@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 17:20:55 +0000

Very nice morning here at the EWBC, I'm really glad the sun finally came out!
After quite a few days of the grounds being pretty quiet, there has been some
activity, making the day even brighter!

Our dragonfly pond has had some warblers hanging out such as the Pine Warbler,
Black-and White Warbler, Wilson's Warbler as well as the White-eyed Vireo and,
of course, the Great Kiskadees. I also spotted a Roseate Spoonbill out at South
Pond, but it flew off as soon as the group and I got to the overlook! The
Ringed Kingfisher was spotted at the North Pond, beautiful bird!

Below is a full list of sightings from Tuesday, Jan. 8th:

Edinburg Scenic Wetlands WBC (LTC 061), Hidalgo, US-TX
Jan 8, 2013 8:30 AM - 10:30 AM
Protocol: Area
40.0 ac
40 species

Gadwall 2
Blue-winged Teal 32
Cinnamon Teal 1
Northern Shoveler 15
Green-winged Teal 55
Redhead 1
Lesser Scaup 1
Ruddy Duck 21
Neotropic Cormorant 18
Double-crested Cormorant 5
American White Pelican 1
Great Blue Heron 5
Great Egret 1
Cattle Egret 8
Black-crowned Night-Heron 6
Roseate Spoonbill 1
Osprey 1
Common Gallinule 1
American Coot 15
Black-necked Stilt 10
Spotted Sandpiper 1
Long-billed Dowitcher 15
Buff-bellied Hummingbird 2
Ringed Kingfisher 1
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker 1
Great Kiskadee 5
White-eyed Vireo 1
House Wren 1
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher 10
Ruby-crowned Kinglet 5
Clay-colored Thrush 1
Northern Mockingbird 10
Long-billed Thrasher 1
Black-and-white Warbler 1
Orange-crowned Warbler 1
Common Yellowthroat 1
Pine Warbler 1
Wilson's Warbler 1
Northern Cardinal 5
House Sparrow 10

Come visit us soon!

Monica Barrera
Interpretive Naturalist

Edinburg Scenic Wetlands & World Birding Center
P.O. Box 1079
Edinburg, Texas 78540
956.381.9922 O 956.381.0715 F
mbarrera@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx