[texbirds] Good birds at Kleb Woods, Purple Finch

  • From: "Collins, Fred (Commissioner Pct. 3)" <Fred_Collins@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 21:07:05 +0000

After several days of rainy and soggy weather we had a chance to venture out
yesterday in the afternoon to mark some trees to move for this weekend Arbor
Day work party. Please feel free to join us. Extra trees will be sent home with
anyone that wants them.
As we were noting where to put which tree in the parking lot two Sprague's
Pipits flew over. These were the first for me in the park as well as for Kendra
Kocab. They had been recorded several years ago on two different November days
by Darrell Vollert when he heard them flying over. This is the third park
record.

This morning we had a chance to get out and found the bird watching to be most
interesting. A Bonaparte's Gull flew over the farm clearing about 9:00 AM. A
new bird for the park for Kendra and the first I had seen here since adding the
species to the park list in Nov. 2005. Second park record.

The feeders near the nature center are loaded with American Goldfinches, a few
Pine Siskins (5 this morning) a couple of Red-breasted Nuthatches, and assorted
more common species. The often retreat to the big Schumard Oak by the barn.
This morning I spotted a bird I thought could be a female Purple Finch so we
began to play the call. Very soon a bright male responded and gave his
distinctive tick call and moved in fairly close. As soon as he saw the I-phone
he retreated to the top of the oak and joined the female. We were able to study
both birds for maybe four minutes before they flew off to the north. We have a
safflower feeder out hoping to entice them along with black oil and Nyjer. We
hope they return to enjoy our offering.

This morning between about 9 and 11 we recorded 42 species.

Fred Collins
             (281) 357-5324
Director: Kleb Woods Nature Center
             Cypress Top Historical Park