[texbirds] Re: RFI - Help with Hawk?

  • From: "Paul Sunby" <psunby@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TexBirds" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 09:17:43 -0700

All,

I actually see no reason why that bird isn't a young Red-tailed Hawk,
albeit in an unusual plumage.  The bird has a brown head and a light
chest, giving it a hooded appearance quite typical of Red-tailed Hawk.
You don't get a hooded look on either eagle (and with the small bill it
is not a Bald Eagle) or on Rough-legged or Ferruginous hawks.  Agree
with Heidi that the bird is decidedly not a Northern Harrier for the
reasons she identifed.

Regards,

Paul Sunby
Austin