[texbirds] Panola County Birding Today - Warbler Hybrid

  • From: Linda Price <lprice@xxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2012 16:20:48 -0500

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27662329@N06/sets/72157630106489290/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27662329@N06/page1/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27662329@N06/page2/

I spent the morning in southern Panola County exploring the bayous of the
Yellow Dog area. I was trying to get a recording of Worm-eating Warbler and/or
Bachman's Sparrow.

I neither heard nor recorded any WEWA singing or Bachman's Sparrow singing.
Many other birds were singing and I will send a day list when I get the records
into eBird.

The problem is that I found a hybrid warbler that appeared to be a cross
between Worm-eating Warbler and Blackpoll Warbler.

Rather than go into descriptions, I've put photos into a Flickr set. The link
is above. The 18 photos tell the story.

I've been reading BNA and confirmed that WEWA (Helmitheros vermiform) is the
sole member of it's genus, "The sole member of the monotypic genusHelmitheros,
the Worm-eating Warbler superficially resembles warblers of the
genusBasileuterus, all of which are restricted to Central and South America."
from Birds of North America Online.

also - "Based on cytochrome b analysis, the Worm-eating Warbler does not appear
to be closely related to any other warbler and averages 9% pairwise sequence
divergence from other warblers (N. Klein pers. comm.). No known hybridization."
from Birds of North America Online.

This is a very perplexing bird. Also, I don't think there is any way to enter
an unknown hybridization into eBird.

Has anyone else seen what appears to be a WEWA hybrid ? Any other suggestions
for the hybrid pair?

Linda Gail Price
Longview, TX
NETFO

( also, when I saw the yellow feet, I thought I had a Blackpoll - which would
have been a year bird and a new Panola County bird. Alas, no new year bird or
county bird for me)