[texbirds] Mt Vernon Bird Fest

  • From: Boyd Sanders <Boyd.Sanders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 May 2014 15:25:49 +0000

Howdy All!

Sorry I didn't post this sooner, but I was recovering from a top notch birding
festival held in Mt Vernon. It was headquartered out of the Selah Ranch and
tours were held there, at Lake Bob Sandlin State Park, in some really great
backyard habitats and the Daphne Prairie. The festival goers were treated to
American Bittern, Sprague's Pipit, Grasshopper Sparrow, Clay-colored Sparrows
and more Dickcissels than you could shake a stick at on the Daphne Prairie. The
afternoon prairie tour was treated to great looks at a Greater Yellowlegs and a
Lesser Yellowlegs standing right next to each other. That made explaining the
differences between the two very easy. Lake Bob Sandlin SP had Swainson's
Thrush, a fairly late leaving Ruby-crowned Kinglet, Brown-headed Nuthatch, Tree
Swallow, Painted Bunting and Least Sandpiper. The in town tours were treated to
wonderful looks at a red phase Eastern Screech-Owl.

The night time Owl Prowl brought in Barred Owl both nights. The night event
that really captivated everyone was the insect program. Special lights were
used to bring in really interesting beetles and moths for everyone to see. I
know, not birds, but very interesting.

The keynote speaker was a photojournalist who just finished an 11 year photo
study of the grassland grouse. His name is, Noppadol Paothong. He has an
amazing presentation and a gorgeous book, Save the Last Dance: A Story of the
North American Grassland Grouse, about his study. If you need a speaker for
your event, I recommend him.

All-in-all, I had a great time at the festival and left there with 93 species
for my list.

Good birding!

Boyd Sanders

Interpreter