[texbirds] Monitoring spring bird migration using NEXRAD weather radar

  • From: "John Arvin" <jarvin@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "New Texbirds" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "TX-Ornithology" <TX-ORNITHOLOGY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "LABIRD-L" <LABIRD-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2013 09:10:16 -0500

A gorgeous morning at 09:00. Observers on the upper Texas coast and western
Louisiana coast report that yesterday's trans-Gulf flight was a non-event.
My take on that is that by steadily shifting eastward in the presence of
the westerly arriving cold front and weather, plus their very early arrival
pretty much cleared the atmosphere of migrating birds. For there to be a
fallout, there has to be birds aloft to fall out, and apparently there
weren't many. The lower Texas coast reported somewhat better results. So
far there are no obvious trans-Gulf arrivals, but this is hardly surprising
considering the early hour and lack of appreciable tail winds. I expect
some arrivals will occur later today, but it may not amount to much. Air
flow in the western Gulf (Brownsville, Corpus) is already south to north.
jca
John C. Arvin
Research Associate
Gulf Coast Bird Observatory