[texbirds] Monitoring spring bird migration using NEXRAD weather radar

  • From: "John Arvin" <jarvin@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "New Texbirds" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "TX-Ornithology" <TX-ORNITHOLOGY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "LABIRD-L" <LABIRD-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2013 12:14:04 -0500

Upper winds are all SE this morning: low 20kt. range at Brownsville and
Corpus and mid teens at Lake Charles and New Orleans. Most of the rich
fallout of this past week will probably dwindle to lingerers over the
weekend (speaking of songbirds only). Not that songbirds will be scarce but
just not as numerous as they have been for the past few days. The return of
Gulf moisture causes morning low cloudiness which postpones the lift-off of
soaring kettles of migration raptors until midday when the clouds usually
break.
At midday the traffic is straight up the coast at Brownsville with a big
gap where Corpus is down, approaching Houston from the SW indicating that
the targets are following the coastline (which puts them almost exactly 90
degrees to the current wind direction since the coastline lies SW to NE
from Corpus north, and then approaching Lake Charles from the west. I
suspect that few passerines are involved in this flight. I imagine it is
largely made up of gulls, terns, and shorebirds and other coastal species.
I see no indication of trans-Gulf migrants arriving at this time.

John C. Arvin
Research Associate
Gulf Coast Bird Observatory
103 West Hwy 332