[texbirds] Mississippi Kites in Friendswood possibly nesting

  • From: David McDonald <dkmmdpa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 May 2014 08:19:25 -0500

Hi Texbirders,

For the past 2 weeks, I have had a pair of Mississippi Kites flying
over my house, often at treetop level. I have seen them at least
every other day.

It seems that they must be nesting in the area as I have only seen
them in fall migration before and only perhaps 1/2 dozen times in 17 years.

Are there any previous reports of this species nesting in the Clear
Lake or Galveston County areas? I have only heard of nests north of I10?

David McDonald
Friendswood TX