[texbirds] Re: Mississippi Kites in Friendswood possibly nesting

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "Stenmead@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: dkmmdpa@xxxxxxxxx, texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 May 2014 11:15:21 -0400 (EDT)

David and Texbirders,

My daughter lives on Kingsmill in the Friendswood area. Mary's Creek runs
behind her house, about 3 years ago a pair of Mississippi Kites nested in a
tall  pine tree across Marys Creek from her yard.  They fledged two young.
My grandchildren swim on the Friendswood Area Swim Team. During swim meets
at  the Stevens Park pool, I always watch for M. Kites.  Last year was the
first year I did not see any during June and July.

This year I have seen a few in the area.  I'll keep watching, maybe  they
will nest again.  I think I reported it on Texbirds.

Stennie Meadours
San Leon

In a message dated 5/17/2014 8:20:54 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
dkmmdpa@xxxxxxxxx writes:
Hi  Texbirders,

For the past 2 weeks, I have had a pair of Mississippi  Kites flying
over my house, often at treetop level. I have seen them at  least
every other day.

It seems that they must be nesting in the  area as I have only seen
them in fall migration before and only perhaps  1/2 dozen times in 17 years.

Are there any previous reports of this  species nesting in the Clear
Lake or Galveston County areas? I have only  heard of nests north of I10?

David McDonald
Friendswood  TX

Reposting of traffic from  TEXBIRDS is prohibited without seeking
permission
from the List  Owner