[texbirds] Laguna Gloria this morning

  • From: Dan Smith <dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds Maillist <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2013 11:23:28 -0600

Well, I joined the Local Patch Challenge almost immediately it was issued, and
then an upper-respiratory bug (or 2 or 3 plus cedar allergies) laid me low for
a while, and almost my only birding was from the house. Today, I 'm getting out
seriously for the first time and started the day at Laguna Gloria.

I do not believe I have birded Laguna Gloria since I took Fred Webster's Texas
Union (I believe) class in 1978. And that's a shame since it's a really neat
place close by. But the local patch challenge brought me there this morning,
and it was very productive. Here's the list:

American Goldfinch - 13
Lesser Goldfinch - 5
House Finch - 3
Great-tailed Grackle - 4
Northern Cardinal - 5
White-crowned Sparrow - 2
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Myrtle) - 14
Pine Warbler - 1
Mockingbird - 1
Ruby-crowned Kinglet - 3
Golden-crowned Kinglet - 2
Carolina Wren - 3
Marsh Wren - 1
House Wren - 1
Brown Creeper - 1
TuftedxBlack-crested Titmouse - 15
Carolina Chickadee - 9
American Crow - 2
Blue Jay - 10
Blue-headed Vireo - 1
Eastern Phoebe - 1
Peregrine Falcon - 1 (flyover)
Downy Woodpecker - 1
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker - 1
Red-bellied Woodpecker - 2
Mourning Dove  - 2
White-winged Dove - 12
Ring-billed Gull - 1
American Woodcock - 1
American Coot - 5
Red-tailed Hawk - 1
Red-shouldered Hawk - 2
Osprey - 1
Pied-billed Grebe - 1
Bufflehead - 1
Gadwall - 2

You can bet that now that I've rediscovered it I'll be there much more often. I
compiled this list in 88 minutes.
Now, it's off to Davis-White Northeast Park, which I understand is mostly
undeveloped woods with Walnut Creek running through it.

Dan Smith
dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
512-451-2632
http://www.wordsmithofaustin.com