[texbirds] Juvenile Zone-tailed Hawk found perched in new location

  • From: SeEtta Moss <seettam@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2013 22:57:59 -0600

On Monday I drove to El Zacatel, a location a few miles from the Rio Grande
River and almost to the Cameron County line, where a series of resacas
draws a lot of birds.  I was surprised to spot a Zone-tailed Hawk perched
in a deciduous tree in that area and found it was a juvenile.  That
location is about 10 miles (as the hawk flies) from Frontera Audubon where
I had followed the juvenile Zone--tailed Hawk I found there on the
Christmas Bird Count.  This is easily within foraging distance for a large
raptor so I suspect this is the same juvenile as I found at Frontera.
As this location I found the hawk was close enough to public access that it
could easily be disturbed and I did not want to risk disturbance  if this
was a new roosting site.  So I waited to post until I could check near dark
to see if the hawk was roosting here.  I did not to do Monday or Tuesday
evenings as it had been misting or raining lightly and I did not want to
drive the 20  or so miles back with dark on wet roads.  It was dry tonight
so I stayed to check and the hawk was not there at dark or earlier in the
afternoon.

I got some interesting photos including one showing white bases to the
feathers on it's head area, one with a good shot of it's bill and another
shot of it's tail.  Additionally I was able to get some nice video of the
hawk as it looks around showing a high level of attentiveness to other
birds/etc around it and provides good views of it's features.  I have
uploaded the photos and 1 video clip so far to my Birds and Nature
blog<http://BirdsAndNature.blogspot.com>.
I will have additional video clips that I will post later as video takes
more processing.

SeEtta Moss
Colorado birder staying in Pharr
Blogging for Birds and Blooms magazine @