[texbirds] Junction quick-check

  • From: "Rhandy Helton" <rjhelton@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 05 May 2014 13:46:19 -0500

I made a quick check of some local spots this a.m. anticipating a group from
Wimberly later today. At the Junction Ingram Tennis Center I observed:
Vermilion Flycatcher
Bullock's Oriole 2 (nesting in same tree as last year about 10' from old nest).
Clay-colored Sparrow
Bell's Vireo
Golden-fronted Woodpecker
Scissortail Flycatcher
Couch's Kingbird (possible, was flying away into sun but had one here last
week).

At the Junction Wastewater Ponds:
Wilson's Phalarope 75 or so. Last Friday 250-300
Baird's Sandpiper
Lesser Yellowlegs
Least Sandpiper
And over weekend Western and Semipalmated Sandpiper, Pectoral S., Solitary
Sandpiper.
Yellow-headed Blackbird 3
Swallows (many) including Barn, Cave, Cliff and Bank mostly Friday and
Saturday.

Junction Goat Pens:
No Yellow-headed Blackbirds today. I did hear a Pyrrhuloxia calling nearby and
Cassin's Sparrow across the highway in mesquite savannah area. Not finding the
sparrow in some usual places because no grass due to drought (now in highest
category---exceptional--I have had .5 inch of rain since Christmas).

South Llano River State Park:
Black-capped Vireo 5+ and still easy to see. My nesting pair is still on the
nest.
Golden-cheeked Warbler--only saw 1, heard couple more, singing less now.
MacGillivray's Warbler--I saw one on the trail but birders at Agarita Blind had
3 at one time this morning. They had some great photo's.
Verdin--3
Scott's Oriole--seeing/hearing 4-5 per trip. Can sit on my back porch and get
one every morning. Great yard bird.
Nashville Warbler--heard a couple this a.m. but last Friday had to be a major
movement day for that species through the area.

I assisted Dorian Anderson on his "Biker for Birds" across America as he was in
Junction Sat-Sun. His primary target was Black-capped Vireo which we managed to
find and photograph in about 10 minutes of looking Sunday a.m., also recorded
his first Scott's Oriole. He is recording his experiences on his blog site. I
think he is going to wear out a couple of bicycles in this worthy endeavor.
Dorian's comment to me was "if there is a place with more Bell's Vireos than
Junction I don't know it".

Rhandy J. Helton
Junction, Tx.