[texbirds] Last week pictures, ruffs, wrens and kites etc.

  • From: Joseph Kennedy <josephkennedy36@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 4 Texbirds Maillist <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 May 2014 10:53:59 -0500

The ruff at Anahuac cooperated for pictures early in the morning
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/155468555

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/155468559

It appeared to be feeding by sight and the two prey things I was able to
see were very tiny minnows

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/155468563

It was a very imperturbable bird and did not flinch or jump when the stilt
sandpipers had a screaming match over head or the yellowlegs had a fight
over a patch of water

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/155468557

Several solitary sandpipers were the closest birds to the boardwalk

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/155468547

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/155468545

All of the stilt sandpipers here were in very wintery plumage

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/155468542

Compared to the coastal birds in breeding finery

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/155468400

A green heron was beside the road

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/155468536

doing a lot of preening

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/155468539

Most least bitterns were way out there

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/155468517

The only buteo I had for the day was a red-tailed hawk just outside the gate

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/155468519

Lots of sedge wrens were singing along the Anahuac roads

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/155468512

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/155468514

For some reason wrens appear to squinch when they see the camera

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/155468508

It is hard for a male orchard oriole to pose as a mystery bird but this one
tried as it was sunning

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/155468501

But when it turns around you can id it

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/155468500

As is often the case, this eastern kingbird has its nest in the same tree
as an orchard oriole

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/155468498

Down at rollover pass, my friend the black-bellied plover has molted almost
the last of its light belly feathers

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/155468408

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/155468407

And D26, the piping plover was with it

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/155468405

It hard to keep feathers neat when tail on to the wind

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/155468404

Ruddy turnstones are looking good

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/155468402

I have watched them flip stones before, but have not seen them do the
flipping by opening the beak

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/155468403

The lesser yellowlegs are also in breeding plumage

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/155468401

whimbrels continue in most wet areas

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/155468398

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/155468399

A common tern up on the texas city dike did nothing but sleep

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/155468391

While its companion posed

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/155468390

A nice common and sandwich bill comparison

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/155468389

A male sandwich tern flew in with a minnow for the female

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/155468386

She was properly appreciative, thanked him, crouched down for mating etc
but the male bird did not quite get the idea yet and ate the minnow himself
leaving the female distraught

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/155468387

Up in Crosby on Sunday, the swallow-tailed kites in evidence were mainly
sitting in dead trees preening but when mama called they would fly out and
catch a bug for her

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/155514254

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/155514252

This bird was preening and hunting

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/155514256

And spots the bug way out there

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/155514257

The swallow-tailed kite is another bird that finds it hard to be a mystery
bird but this one tried

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/155514260

But would stick out the tail ruinging the mystery

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/155514262

It was not affected by the wind on the small perch

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/155514259

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/155514261

And did glance at me while preening its belly. It appeared to eat the small
feathers

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/155514263

All these and more pictures can be browsed in

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/inbox

--
Joseph C. Kennedy
on Buffalo Bayou in West Houston