[texbirds] observation of bird migration using weather forecasting technology, 5/5

  • From: "John Arvin" <jarvin@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Texbirds" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "LABIRD-L" <LABIRD-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 May 2014 14:49:58 -0500

The high pressure center has shifted eastward a bit to a position off the
mouths of the Mississippi. That opens up the entire coastline of Texas and
Louisiana to brisk S winds. Unfortunately there is no weather trigger
present to cause migrants to be forced down on the coast so they are
sailing well inland before landing. We are nearing the period when migrants
begin trailing off slowly so if something doesn't happen soon we may be
facing a spring season without a major migration event.
John C. Arvin
 Research Associate
 Gulf Coast Bird Observatory
 103 West Hwy 332