[texbirds] Re: I want to eat fugu, but I don't want to die

  • From: MBB22222@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2013 15:15:27 -0400 (EDT)

Before I sent original post I was trying to find information about what is
known about other animals that can possibly eat puffers. In response to my
post  I received several emails from people intrigued by the subject. I
could only  send them a few notes I found so far.  Perhaps I will copy those
here as  well for others who might have interest. A few general notes are
suggesting that  perhaps at least some pufferfishes have concentrated toxins
only
during  particular seasons or only in some regions. I cannot highlight
words in the text  send to Texbirds so instead I used all caps. Could some
terns
be able to know  when it is safe to take puffers, or what puffers are not
poisonous? Cannot  answer this question and would like to know that answer
myself…

Here are a few notes that I found interesting:

Not all puffers are necessarily poisonous; Takifugu oblongus, for example,
is a FUGU PUFFER THAT IS NOT POISONOUS, AND TOXIN LEVEL VARIES WILDLY EVEN
IN  FISH THAT ARE. A puffer's neurotoxin IS NOT NECESSARILY AS TOXIC TO
OTHER  ANIMALS AS IT IS TO HUMANS, and puffers are eaten routinely by some
species of  fish, such as lizardfish and tiger sharks. Also, Japanese fish
farmers have  GROWN NONPOISONOUS PUFFERS BY CONTROLLING THEIR DIETS.

Predators which catch the puffer suddenly, before or during inflation, may
die from choking, and predators that do manage to swallow the puffer may
find  their stomachs full of tetrodotoxin, making puffers an unpleasant,
possibly  lethal, choice of prey. THIS NEUROTOXIN IS FOUND PRIMARILY IN THE
OVARIES AND  LIVER, ALTHOUGH SMALLER AMOUNTS EXIST IN THE INTESTINES AND SKIN,
AS
WELL AS  TRACE AMOUNTS IN MUSCLE.

THE SOURCE OF TETRODOTOXIN IN PUFFERS HAS BEEN A MATTER OF DEBATE, BUT IT
IS INCREASINGLY ACCEPTED THAT BACTERIA IN THE FISH'S INTESTINAL TRACT ARE
THE  SOURCE.

SAXITOXIN, THE CAUSE OF PARALYTIC SHELLFISH POISONING AND RED TIDE, CAN
ALSO BE FOUND IN CERTAIN PUFFERS.

Pufferfish, called pakpao in Thailand, are usually consumed by mistake.
They are often cheaper than other fish, and because they contain INCONSISTENT
levels of toxins BETWEEN FISH AND SEASON, there is little awareness or
monitoring of the danger.

Cases of neurological symptoms, including numbness and tingling of the lips
 and mouth, have been reported to rise after the consumption of puffers
caught in  the area of Titusville, Florida. The symptoms generally resolve
within hours to  days, although one affected individual required intubation for
72 hours. As a  result, Florida banned the harvesting of puffers from
CERTAIN bodies of water.

Mark B Bartosik
Houston, Texas
http://www.pbase.com/mbb/from_the_field

In a message dated 7/12/2013 2:48:12 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
MBB22222@xxxxxxx writes:

There is  an old expression such that - I want to eat fugu, but I don't
want
to  die.

Fugu, also known as pufferfish, blowfish, or globefish usually are  quite
toxic. I only saw a few cases when terns were transporting or  feeding
these
fishes to chicks. Although  mother-in-law should  always get the first bite

(as a sign of respect to the elders) terns  are lacking this practical
behavior.  I never saw other birds taking  puffers.

Here are recently taken photos of Royal Tern transporting a  pufferfish,
perhaps a girlfriend was unfaithful.

http://www.pbase.com/mbb/image/151281334

http://www.pbase.com/mbb/image/151281332

http://www.pbase.com/mbb/royal_tern_catching_and_transporting_pufferfish_

And  a few old photos showing Least Tern feeding  puffer to chicks  (got
tiered of teenage  behavior?).

http://www.pbase.com/mbb/image/102089002

http://www.pbase.com/mbb/image/102088992

http://www.pbase.com/mbb/least_tern__feeding_pufferfish_to_juvenile

Perhaps  some fishermen from Gulf of Mexico know how poison are species  of

the local puffers. I am not going to try to eat one nor I still have
mother-in-law to make an experiment.

Mark B  Bartosik
Houston,  Texas
http://www.pbase.com/mbb/from_the_field

Edit your Freelists  account settings for TEXBIRDS at
//www.freelists.org/list/texbirds

Reposting of traffic from  TEXBIRDS is prohibited without seeking
permission
from the List  Owner