[texbirds] I want to eat fugu, but I don't want to die

  • From: MBB22222@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2013 15:47:27 -0400 (EDT)

There is an old expression such that - I want to eat fugu, but I don't want
 to die.

Fugu, also known as pufferfish, blowfish, or globefish usually are quite
toxic. I only saw a few cases when terns were transporting or feeding these
fishes to chicks. Although  mother-in-law should always get the first bite
(as a sign of respect to the elders) terns are lacking this practical
behavior.  I never saw other birds taking puffers.

Here are recently taken photos of Royal Tern transporting a pufferfish,
perhaps a girlfriend was unfaithful.

http://www.pbase.com/mbb/image/151281334

http://www.pbase.com/mbb/image/151281332

http://www.pbase.com/mbb/royal_tern_catching_and_transporting_pufferfish_

And a few old photos showing Least Tern feeding  puffer to chicks  (got
tiered of teenage behavior?).

http://www.pbase.com/mbb/image/102089002

http://www.pbase.com/mbb/image/102088992

http://www.pbase.com/mbb/least_tern__feeding_pufferfish_to_juvenile

Perhaps some fishermen from Gulf of Mexico know how poison are species  of
the local puffers. I am not going to try to eat one nor I still have
mother-in-law to make an experiment.

Mark B Bartosik
Houston, Texas
http://www.pbase.com/mbb/from_the_field