[texbirds] Highlights from Lubbock today

  • From: Anthony Hewetson <terrverts@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "leas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <leas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2013 17:40:43 -0700 (PDT)

Greetings All:
Ross (Clayton) Rickett relocated the Northern Parula below the spillway at Lake
Six - so I tried again for an hour this afternoon.

This time I lucked out.  The key was finding the large group of Yellow-rumped
Warblers (30 or so) and waiting for the parula to pop up ... and pop up it did.
 My feeling on the plumage - using the Peterson Warbler Guide - is that it is a
spring adult female.  Other highlights included 1 Green Heron, 1 Spotted
Sandpiper, 1 House Wren, 1 Wilson's Warbler, 1 Canyon Towhee, 2 Clay-colored
Sparrows, 1 adult male Lazuli Bunting (drylands north of the pipe - just below
the lake), and 4 male Bullock's Orioles.

Anthony 'Fat Tony' Hewetson; Lubbock