[texbirds] Highlights from Lubbock today

  • From: Anthony Hewetson <terrverts@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "leas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <leas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2013 19:17:11 -0700 (PDT)

Greetings All:
I combined errand-running with critter chasing today and managed to snag some
good stuff at most of the day's stops.

Highlights from Clapp Park this morning: 9 Blue-winged Teals, 2 Cinnamon Teals,
2 Sharp-shinned Hawks, 14 Black-necked Stilts, 3 American Avocets, 13
Long-billed Dowitchers, 2 Brown Thrashers, 1 Cassin's Sparrow, 3 Lark Sparrows,
and 2 Pine Siskins.

Highlights from Leftwich Park this morning: 2 Cinnamon Teals, 1 Snowy Egret, 1
Black-necked Stilt, 4 American Avocets, 1 Lesser Yellowlegs, 1 Baird's
Sandpiper, and 1 Tree Swallow.

Highlights from below Lake Six early this afternoon: 2 Blue-winged Teals and 1
Louisiana Waterthrush.

Highlights from Lake Six (and adjacent uplands) early this afternoon: 16
Blue-winged Teals, 1 Greater Yellowlegs, 1 Ash-throated Flycatcher, 4 Verdins,
2 Cassin's Sparrows, 1 Pyrrhuloxia, 2 male Yellow-headed Blackbirds.

Highlights from Leroy Elmore Park later in the afternoon: 8 Wood Ducks and 1
Green Heron.

Highlights from Dupree Park still later in the afternoon: 2 Wood Ducks, 4
Blue-winged Teals, 1 Great Egret, and 1 Snowy Egret.

I dipped on the Plover (American Golden?) that Cameron Carver found at Maxey
Park late this afternoon.  My prevening visit yielded 1 Black-necked Stilt and
4 American Avocets near Plover Island - but no plover.

Anthony 'Fat Tony' Hewetson; Lubbock