[texbirds] Reeve/Ruff Still Present at 2:00 PM Today at Skillern Tract 4/16/13

  • From: DHanson139@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2013 20:43:13 -0400 (EDT)

Between 1:30 and 2:45 today the Ruff was still present at the Skillern
Tract at the Anahuac National Wildlife Refuge. As described before it was
hanging in the flooded field on the East side of the entrance road and was in
the most South Western Corner. When we first got out to try to find it she/he
 was so close to the front levee that we could barely see over it and the
camera  would not focus. There were also quite a few Long-billed Dowitcher's,
Lesser  Yellowlegs, Black-necked Stilts, Fulvous Whistling-Ducks and a few
White-faced Ibis. We saw no Hudsonian Godwits today. Jan and I went on down
 and walked out on the sidewalk for a while and found Orchard Orioles,
Black and  White Warbler, Tennessee Warbler, and Common Yellowthroat down the
trail and  Common Gallinule, Pied-billed Grebes, Am Coots and one Marsh Wren
in the marsh  area. I will post pictures if any turned out ok. Really poor
light today.

At the main Refuge there was a Swainson's Hawk just before entering by the
bathrooms. At Shoveler Pond we had what looked and sounded like a Clapper
Rail  fly across the road right where it turns one way around the pond. When
we  stopped to try to see it there were two of them calling back and forth
in the  cane. If you would like to see and hear Boat-tailed Grackles calling
and doing  there mating dance now is the time to check them out. They were
all around  Shoveler Pond. Not a whole lot more around except a few
Black-necked Stilts, Am.  Coots and Common Gallinules. Someone apparently found
what
was thought to be a  Glossy Ibis earlier today on the road to Shoveler Pond
but the 4-5 we could find  and scope were all White-faced.

Came home up Pear Orchard and East on Fairview to Dornbos Rd. No  new
flooded fields yet up there.

At Home we still have several Am Goldfinches and at least 5 Indigo
Buntings.

David and Jan  Hanson
Baytown/Mont Belvieu Area
Chambers  County