[texbirds] Re: Harlan's Red-tailed vs. Harris Hawk

  • From: "Ray Porter" <ray.porter314@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2013 22:51:12 -0600

I was out there yesterday also looking for the Harris' Hawk without luck.
Initially what appeared to be a Harlan's far in the distance was observed
near the intersection of Elruy and Fagerquist. Later after that hawk swooped
in with a couple of Caracara and a couple of what I believe were Chihuahuan
Ravens, I was able to capture a couple of pics of it

The Harlan's
http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff500/rporter314/ebird%20photos/IMG_4034A_zpsa6a18eea.jpg

There was a hawk which looked like your pic but it was backlit so I couldn't
see any detail. I think it was the Harlan's but can't be sure.

What I believe to a a Chihuahuan Raven
http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff500/rporter314/ebird%20photos/IMG_3988Asmall_zps871f985f.jpg

Today at Hornsby I found this duck
http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff500/rporter314/ebird%20photos/IMG_4410Asmall_zpsb1426793.jpg
anyone have an idea what kind??? I know it's leucistic and think it may be a
widgeon.

ray porter
highlands texas