[texbirds] Harlan's Red-tailed vs. Harris Hawk

  • From: Kerri Chambers <kerridiann.chambers@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2013 12:38:49 -0600

I reviewed my photos of what I thought was a Harris Hawk yesterday after
reading Ian's post about seeing a Harlan's Red-tailed Hawk in the same spot
yesterday morning in Elroy, TX near Austin.  It's clear that the bird has a
white tail with a dark band at the bottom which is not indicative of a Harris
Hawk so it must be a Harlan's Red-tailed Hawk.  There are bad photos here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kdchambers/8354941553/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kdchambers/8357791899/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kdchambers/8357794659/

Kerri Chambers