[texbirds] Fwd: FW: Unknown Flycatcher

  • From: Tim Brush <txbrush5@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TexBirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 May 2014 17:12:15 -0500

This is a retrospective identification of a Dusky-capped Flycatcher that
John and I identified, based on a recording John and I made at Resaca de la
Palma State Park, Cameron County, last Friday.Sorry for the late notice! We
were checking our points in preparation for field work later this month and
heard the somewhat plaintive, slurred call a few times. At the time, we
weren't sure because an Eastern Wood-Pewee immediately started calling, so
we continued on to other points. But now, listening to John's cell-phone
recording, we believe that's what it was. The bird was in the southeastern
part of the park, along an unnamed service road that goes east from
Hunter's Lane, just north of where the latter crosses the resaca. The bird
was about 150-200 yards east along the service road, in the thin band of
trees between the service road and the resaca. Again, we did not see the
bird, but wanted to let people know in case someone wants to look. The tram
would be a good option to get to the area and then it would not be much of
a walk.
Regards and good birding,
Tim Brush
Edinburg, TX