[texbirds] FOY Burrowing Owl, Ferruginous Hawk, >longspurs, @ Prairie Dog Town, Brewster Co., 12 Jan 2013

  • From: Matthew York <mwayork@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2013 19:06:12 -0600

10 miles north of Marathon on 385.
FEHAs are winter residents at this general location, and one was soaring
about. First of Year Burrowing Owl was a nice addition to the end of the
obs.

Chestnut-collared Longspurs 300
McCown's Longspurs 55

Longspur numbers are really picking up.  So did the wind, or I would have
stayed longer.  I would like to see if any Lapland Longspurs could be
plucked out of that vast grassland this year.  Plenty of action.

No Golden Eagles hanging out during the obs.

Matt York
Marathon
Brewster Co.

--