[texbirds] Great Black-backed Gull, Brazoria County

  • From: "Susan Heath" <sheath@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2013 18:21:56 -0600

TexBirders,

While out trying to beef up my local patch list I stopped by a lake on
Dixie Drive in Lake Jackson and discovered a treasure trove of gulls. The
lake is Mammouth Lake and there is a small restaurant (Asiels) and a Scuba
center there. Because of the scuba center (I guess) the lake is filled with
large orange buoys and nearly every one had a Lesser Black-backed Gull on
it. I counted 20 of them. There was also a first winter Great Black-backed
Gull sitting on one of the buoys. It flew from one buoy to another and
booted a Lesser Black-backed off the one where it landed. It was clearly
larger than the Lesser Black-backed, had an all black very large bill,
flesh colored legs and the checkerboard pattern on its wing coverts. There
were also a small number of Laughing, Ring-billed and Herring Gulls there.
I zipped home to get my camera and returned within 20 minutes but when I
returned most of the Lesser Black-backs were gone and the Great
Black-backed had flown to the far end of the lake. By the time I figured
out how to get down there for a photo, it too was gone. I first arrived at
about 3:30 and it was 4:20 when I returned. I don't know if the gulls were
staging there before going to roost or if they were there all day but I do
plan to return to check this out. The address of the restaurant is 330
North Dixie Drive, Lake Jackson. It is located just past the Brazoswood
High School if you are coming from SH 288/322. On the left side of the
restaurant there is a historical marker that talks about the lake and you
can get a pretty good view of the entire thing from there. There is ample
parking along this side of the parking lot which doesn't interfere with
restaurant business.

Sue

Susan A. Heath, Ph.D.
Avian Conservation Biologist
Gulf Coast Bird Observatory
103 W. Hwy 332
Lake Jackson, TX 77566
979-480-0999
Join us in our quest to study and conserve birds and their habitat around
the Gulf of Mexico.
www.gcbo.org
Sign-Up for our monthly E-News Letter
http://www.gcbo.org/default.aspx/MenuItemID/205/MenuGroup/Home.htm