[texbirds] Corpus Christi Area - Saturday, April 27th

  • From: "Willie Sekula" <williebird22@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Texbirds'" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2013 22:25:23 -0500

Today I birded Pollywog Pond, Rosehill Cemetery, Blucher Park, Packery
Channel, Mustang Island, and Port Aransas.  I was joined by Martin Reid and
Sheridan Coffey plus Chet Burrier (Port Aransas).  It was amazingly birdy
especially at Rosehill Cemetery and Pollywog Pond.  I managed to tally 25
species of warblers with another three species (Prothonotary, Orange-crowned
& Blackpoll) seen by friends.  A Black-throated Blue was reported from
Paradise Pond.  This brings the total to 29 warblers seen/reported from the
Corpus Christi area today.

Species of Note:

Purple Gallinule 1 (Port Aransas Birding Center)

Yellow-billed Cuckoo 5

Chuck-will's-widow 3

Olive-sided Flycatcher 1

Eastern Wood-Pewee 14

Acadian Flycatcher 6

Great-crested Flycatcher 13

Eastern Kingbird 2

White-eyed Vireo 4

Blue-headed Vireo 3

Yellow-throated Vireo 2

Warbling Vireo 3

Philadelphia Vireo 2

Red-eyed Vireo 12

Blue-gray Gnatcatcher 1

Veery 2

Gray-cheeked Thrush 3

Swainson's Thrush 15

Wood Thrush 13

Blue-winged Warbler 6

Golden-winged Warbler 5

Tennessee Warbler 16

Nashville Warbler 4

Yellow Warbler 14

Chestnut-sided Warbler 8

Magnolia Warbler 6

Black-throated Green Warbler 7

Blackburnian Warbler 3

Yellow-throated Warbler 1

Bay-breasted Warbler 2

Cerulean Warbler 3 (1 male & 2 females)

Black-and-white Warbler 26

American Redstart 5

Worm-eating Warbler 3

Ovenbird 11

Northern Waterthrush 6

Kentucky Warbler 6

Mourning Warbler 2

MacGillivray's Warbler 1 (still present at Blucher Park)

Common Yellowthroat 6

Hooded Warbler 6

Wilson's Warbler 1

Canada Warbler 2

Yellow-breasted Chat 20

Summer Tanager 14

Scarlet Tanager 10

Clay-colored Sparrow 1

Grasshopper Sparrow 1

Lincoln's Sparrow 8

Rose-breasted Grosbeak 22

Blue Grosbeak 16

Indigo Bunting 35+

Painted Bunting 7

Yellow-headed Blackbird 1

Orchard Oriole 14

Baltimore Oriole 38

Lesser Goldfinch 1

I ran into Doug Stenner at Rosehill Cemetery who showed me photos of a
Dark-eyed (Slate-colored) Junco that he photographed on Mustang Island
yesterday!  An amazingly late record especially since this species was
pretty much absent from South Texas this past winter.

Willie Sekula

Falls City