[texbirds] Wandering widely in Williamson - 127 spp

  • From: Chuck Sexton <gcwarbler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TexBirds TexBirds Posting <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2013 22:22:41 -0500

TexBirders,

Expecting that it might be a pretty good migration day in the Austin
area, I ended up doing an ad hoc Big Day of sorts.  I made a journey
from E to W across Williamson County, starting the day in the far SE
corner on Dry Brushy Creek, and ending the day in the extreme SW
corner on a (WilCo) tract of Balcones Canyonlands NWR.  I had good
weather fortune as threatening storms seemed to dissipate in a timely
fashion or split and go around me all day.

Migration diversity was fair but density was somewhat lower than
expected--if you don't count Dickcissels.  Checking many waterbodies
allowed me to tally 9 spp of waterfowl, a nice number this late in
the Spring in Central Texas (away from Hornsby Bend).  A couple of
receding lake margins offered some good shorebirding (12 spp.).
Warblers were present but pretty thinly spread; I ended the day with
13 spp but missed some species reported by others.

Best birds of the day would have to be an Anhinga at Granger Lake and
a Wood Thrush at Devine Lake Park.  The misses are too numerous to
list, but collectively they suggest that something like 150 spp is
approachable on a good day if everything fell into place.

Chuck Sexton
Austin, TX