[texbirds] Re: Considering a TEXBIRDS rule change, your feedback is wanted

  • From: "Danielle Plumer" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "dcplumer@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: TexBirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2014 22:08:45 +0000 (UTC)

I'm a recent list member. I joined on Nov. 8 and received the list rules, which
I read, but not carefully enough. On Nov. 9, I sent a note about seeing the
dusky-capped flycatcher at Pedernales Falls, but I did not include my location
in my signature (I included information about where I saw the bird, which
seemed more relevant at the time). That led to my post being rejected and I
remained on moderated status. A later post about seeing the Brown Booby at
Windy Point was held for moderation, even though I included my location
information. I think David might have missed the post, because he responded to
me a few days later with apologies. I asked him to take me off moderation, and
he did.
From the perspective of a newbie who doesn't know most of the people on this
list, I always appreciate knowing where the bird was seen unless the location
must be suppressed to protect the bird (in which case I'd probably rather not
know about the sighting at all). Knowing where the poster lives is generally
irrelevant.
I'd pretty much decided that I wouldn't post to this list ever again -- I post
frequently to Birds of Texas on Facebook and occasionally to the Facebook Bird
ID group, and I joined the Facebook Texbirds group to see what got posted there
-- but I thought I'd respond to David's request for feedback.
Danielle Cunniff PlumerGeorgetown, TX
     On Monday, December 1, 2014 3:46 PM, "Collins, Fred (Commissioner Pct. 3)"
<Fred_Collins@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

 David and all,

I agree completely with Bob. Seems to me, in the days of automatic signatures,
it is not much to ask. Frequently people post back yard sightings. They are
really worthless without a location on the signature.

Fred Collins, Director
Kleb Woods Nature Center
20303 Draper Road
Tomball TX 77377