[texbirds] BRIEF ADDENDUM Re: Flammulated Owl at SPI

  • From: "Rex Stanford" <calidris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TEXBIRDS" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2013 21:10:06 -0600

Underscoring Scarlet Colley's important admonition (relayed by Mary
Gustafson) about not pressuring the Flammulated Owl as it is trying to hunt,
it seems good to keep in mind that the Flammulated Owl feeds mainly at the
onset of darkness and close to dawn, unlike some other nocturnal owls that
tend to feed vigorously during the night (see Kenn Kaufman's "Lives of North
American Birds," Houghton Mifflin, 1996, p. 307; Pete Dunne's "Essential
Field Guide Companion", Houghton Mifflin, 2006, p. 327). Consequently,
disturbance around dusk (or at first sign of light) may pose special threats
to the owl's well-being.

Rex Stanford
McAllen, TX