[texbirds] Zavala and Maverick County Birding

  • From: Sheridan Coffey <sngcanary@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds - Email <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, SATXbirds <SATXbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2013 19:25:50 -0800 (PST)

Dear all,
yesterday morning Martin and I decided to do some birding in an area where we
had never been. Ebird is fairly silent about Zavala and Maverick Counties, so
that was our choice. We had a great time and plan on doing a lot more in these
counties.
We started the day in Frio County, where we have birded a lot, at the sod farm
on Hwy 57 and FM 140. We were rather surprised to find almost no birds. This
has been our go-to place for Mountain Plovers for the last several years. We
didn't even find any Killdeer, meadowlarks or pipits. There was a Merlin
working the field; maybe he was particularly voracious. There was one surprise,
a Burrowing Owl perched on a stack of pallets near the road.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sngcanary/8422671858/in/photostream
Warning- this is a heavily cropped, not so great photo.

We moved into Zavala County where we found a number of ducks on small ponds
near the highway. There were numerous hawks on the telephone lines and fences,
including a gorgeous rufous morph Red-tail and a dark morph Harlen's Hawk, Our
best stop was at a ranch between Batesville and La Pryor. We had seen a
White-tailed Kite flying by and were trying to re-find it. We then saw a small
flock of Sandhill Cranes landing in a field and stopped, only to see over 300
cranes feeding. As I got out of the car, two Sprague's Pipits flew up over my
head. We could hear American Pipits and a flock of Horned Larks were working
the field. As Martin was going through the cranes with a scope, hoping for the
over-due Common Crane, when I saw a Prairie Falcon on the irrigation rig.

Maverick County was also very interesting. We picked up some ducks at the city
park in Eagle Pass. We went through the border fence to the banks of the Rio
Grande, where we had an Osprey and a few ducks. I picked up Golden-fronted
Woodpecker and Great Kiskadee for Mexico on the other side. We drove north
towards Quemado on Hwy 277, detouring on a few side roads. Our favorite was FM
1907, just south west of the Maverick County International Airport. This road
had a few houses and a number of scrubby fields. We found some Black-throated
Sparrows and a few other birds. The best part was at the end of the road. It
dead ends at a hydro-electric plant. The gate was open and it looked like
visitors were welcome. We walked in and spoke with a woman who lives on the
property and she said it was fine to bird there. There are a couple of
intersecting canals that had quite a few ducks. Five Black Phoebes were along
the main canal, along with a male Vermilion
 Flycatcher. There is a patch of woods that had at least a dozen Olive
Sparrows. A pair of Carolina Wrens were fussing. It was mid afternoon, so the
birds were rather quiet. I feel like this spot could be excellent earlier in
the morning. Other birds along were Eastern Bluebirds in the pecan groves,
numerous Red-tails and Harris's Hawks and Northern Harriers.

All in all, we didn't have anything earth shattering, but it was a lot of fun
to go someplace we had never been before. There are so many counties in Texas
that get very little coverage. I highly recommend finding one near you and
making a trip. You might find the next great hot spot!

Sheridan Coffey
San Antonio, Tx
http://sngcanary1.blogspot.com/
www.flickr.com/sngcanary