[texbirds] Re: Austin Area RBA

  • From: "LMarkoff" <canyoneaglej@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2012 12:38:37 -0500

Kenny and all,

You may recall that last year I reported nesting Least Grebes at the
Triangle pond (45th and Guadalupe).  I was watching for them there this year
but only saw a single Least Grebe on the pond in spring.  As the season
progressed, even that bird left.  My guess is that because the water level
at the pond has been much higher this year it no longer suits Least Grebes
as a nesting spot.

I haven't been to the pond since July because both my kids have graduated
and moved.  Perhaps someone else local to that area can check on the current
situation.

Lori Markoff
far southwest Austin

<snip>

Least Grebes all but vanished from my attention in the Austin area as
they became breeding year-round residents.  They are now slightly more
difficult to find (that I know of), so two reports from Bastrop
County- including a breeding pair on private property 8/12- were of
some interest. The other (2) birds were on a pond in the closed
section of Bastrop State Park on 8/16.

<snip>