[texbirds] Angry Birds? - Wilson's Snipe - interesting behavior

  • From: James Giroux <jamesagiroux@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 05 Jan 2013 00:47:21 -0600

I was out birding near some flooded fields in Waller County over the
holidays, and observed some interesting Wilson Snipe behavior. Two birds
were flapping at each other with tail feathers sticking straight up
(like a Carolina Wren). It appeared to be courtship behavior, but then I
realized it was December. So, perhaps a territory dispute. I was able to
get a few photos, but was unfortunately a good distance away, so the
photos are highly cropped.

Photos can be seen here:

http://jamesagiroux.com/WilsonsSnipe.html

James Giroux