[texbirds] Re: Angry Birds? - Wilson's Snipe - interesting behavior

  • From: MBB22222@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2013 02:21:57 -0500 (EST)

Yes those are well known aggressive behaviors - territorial disputes.

Here are a few examples:

_http://www.pbase.com/mbb/wilsons_snipe__cocked_tail_display_
(http://www.pbase.com/mbb/wilsons_snipe__cocked_tail_display)

_http://www.pbase.com/mbb/wilsons_snipe__intraspecific_aggression___cocked_t
ail_and_spar_
(http://www.pbase.com/mbb/wilsons_snipe__intraspecific_aggression___cocked_tail_and_spar)

_http://www.pbase.com/mbb/wilsons_snipe__intraspecific_aggression__physical_
fights__str_
(http://www.pbase.com/mbb/wilsons_snipe__intraspecific_aggression__physical_fights__str)

_http://www.pbase.com/mbb/wilsons_snipe___alert_posture_
(http://www.pbase.com/mbb/wilsons_snipe___alert_posture)

_http://www.pbase.com/mbb/wilsons_snipe___flutter_leap_
(http://www.pbase.com/mbb/wilsons_snipe___flutter_leap)

And yes, those behaviors are not easy to observe and/or  photograph.

All the best,,

Mark B Bartosik
Houston, Texas
_http://www.pbase.com/mbb/from_the_field_
(http://www.pbase.com/mbb/from_the_field)

In a message dated 1/5/2013 12:48:11 A.M. Central Standard Time,
jamesagiroux@xxxxxxxxx writes:

I was  out birding near some flooded fields in Waller County over the
holidays,  and observed some interesting Wilson Snipe behavior. Two birds
were  flapping at each other with tail feathers sticking straight up
(like a  Carolina Wren). It appeared to be courtship behavior, but then I
realized  it was December. So, perhaps a territory  dispute.