[texbirds] Frontera Zone-tailed Hawk perched in the rain today

  • From: SeEtta Moss <seettam@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2013 22:15:58 -0600

I didn't get over to Frontera Audubon in Weslaco yesterday (Jan 3) because
I was participating in the Bentsen Christmas Bird Count on the west side of
the Lower Rio Grande Valley.  Even though it was raining I did go today to
look for a Zone-tailed Hawk.  I did find one but in addition to the rain it
was perched in a deciduous tree with a lot of leaves.  I did not want to
approach closer and risk flushing it especially in the awful conditions for
soaked hawks and other raptors so I did not see it's tail.  What I could
see (limited white on face) and white on nape and breast I did not see, I
think it was the adult Zone-tailed, though with the caveat of only a
'likely' adult.  FYI, I checked this tree and it wasn't there when I first
looked.  And after finding it I left and returned 45 min later and it was
gone again.
SeEtta Moss
Colorado birder staying in Pharr
Colorado birder staying in Pharr