[techtalk] Wireless speed

  • From: Greg Webb <greg.webb@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2007 20:01:50 +0000

Hi all

I'm sending this over my parents' new wireless network at present. They had broadband but two PCs at opposite ends of a largeish house, so this seemed simpler than cabling the place up :-)

However, we've got a slightly odd problem here. Mum's machine is running fine, connects at 11MB/s. My laptop, sitting in Dad's study, is coming up at 5.5MB/s - quite good enough for me. His machine keeps dropping back to 1MB/s.

We know the signal strength isn't fantastic in this bit of the house, it's an extension so has a former external wall in the middle and the router's already in as good a place as it can be. Is there anything other than signal strength we need to check for this though?

Thanks,

Greg