[techtalk] Re: Overheating P4?

  • From: Greg Webb <greg.webb@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2010 21:06:31 +0000

trotter wrote:
At 08:40 09/03/2010, you wrote:
Andrew Davidson wrote:
Greg, this is a common fault with old Dell P4 boxes, it's leaking caps around the Cpu power section of the board. Your machine is dead, sorry.

That's fine, thanks - thought it might be dead but wanted to make sure :-) New box coming up...

You can check for leaky caps by looking at the motherboard.
If any are bulging at the top then that is the problem.

No point throwing it if you haven't checked it

Hmm.

Two by the HDD cable have slightly gunky stuff on the top - looks like barnacles on a ship's hull - but other than that, they all _look_ clear and flat. Some are pretty difficult to see under a huge P4 heat sink and cooling fan but the ones I can see look OK.

That said though, the machine was cheap and isn't heavily used - there's a fairly low limit to how much time and money I'm interested in throwing at sorting it.

Martin N

Greg