[techtalk] Re: Overheating P4?

  • From: Greg Webb <greg.webb@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2010 13:09:11 +0000

Tim Seifert wrote:
On Tue, 2010-03-09 at 01:17 +0000, Greg Webb wrote:
I've got an old Dell P4 box that just gets used as a file & print
server and occasional net TV box. Unfortunately it recently turned
itself off and now either gives the normal 'windows didn't start'
message, or 'the previous shutdown was due to a thermal event'.
As far as I can tell, the CPU and PSU fans are both running and
pumping out air so I'm a little stumped what to look at next. Would
anyone have any bright ideas before the machine gets junked and
replaced?

How are you "telling"?  Are you checking the fan at the device, or at
some remote part of the chassis.

Whipped the case off, stuck my hand over the outlet :-) Definite air pressure moving through.

You want to check that the heatsink is firmly attached to the CPU (or
other heat generating object), that the heatsink fins are not clogged
with dust (if you can't remove things to clean it, try pipe cleaners),
that the fan turns freely and air flows through the heatsink fins.

Looks OK, sadly.

Also, it's much better if the fan has a pathway that means air comes
directly in from the outside world, or directly out to it, but not round
and around inside the box.  Cardboard ducts and duct tape improved the
efficiency of one my PCs cooling, no end.  ;-)

Likewise for not putting the intake next to some other heat generating
object (another computer, the room heater, etc.).

It's not got the best airflow where it was but it's doing the same while sitting open in the middle of the floor, so I think Andrew's diagnosis is regrettably likely. Oh well!

Byte me,
Tim.

:-)

Greg