[techtalk] Re: Overheating P4?

  • From: Tim Seifert <sir_tim_seifert@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2010 16:41:53 +1030

On Tue, 2010-03-09 at 01:17 +0000, Greg Webb wrote:
> I've got an old Dell P4 box that just gets used as a file & print
> server and occasional net TV box. Unfortunately it recently turned
> itself off and now either gives the normal 'windows didn't start'
> message, or 'the previous shutdown was due to a thermal event'.
>
> As far as I can tell, the CPU and PSU fans are both running and
> pumping out air so I'm a little stumped what to look at next. Would
> anyone have any bright ideas before the machine gets junked and
> replaced?

How are you "telling"?  Are you checking the fan at the device, or at
some remote part of the chassis.

You want to check that the heatsink is firmly attached to the CPU (or
other heat generating object), that the heatsink fins are not clogged
with dust (if you can't remove things to clean it, try pipe cleaners),
that the fan turns freely and air flows through the heatsink fins.

Also, it's much better if the fan has a pathway that means air comes
directly in from the outside world, or directly out to it, but not round
and around inside the box.  Cardboard ducts and duct tape improved the
efficiency of one my PCs cooling, no end.  ;-)

Likewise for not putting the intake next to some other heat generating
object (another computer, the room heater, etc.).

Byte me,
Tim.