Re: Letters from the edge of stupidity...

  • From: John Madden <weez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: technocracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 13:32:01 -0500 (EST)

>   Why me?  Eventually got him figured out by telling me where his web page
> on mama is. I really wish this U. could give folks a clue.  And although his
> english is pretty good for a foriegn student, could someone please show
> these students the shift key?

I think we oughta start up a database of this kinda stuff.  It could be
our own "Computer Stupidities" site.  I bet I run into two or three
situations like that everyday, and oh, it'd be so fun to keep track of
them all. :)

1)
Me: "Reboot the machine.  Oh, it's crashed, just press the reset button."

Her: "Where's that?"

"Next to the power button."

"Like, near the spacebar?"

2)
Me: "What's your Befac password?"

Her: "I don't know, I've never used it."

"You've never logged into your machine?"

3)
Her: "I'm missing a shortcut."

Me: "Ok, let's take a look."  (Her machine is in the next room, I had
finished working on hers and gone to another one)

Me: "uhm, you powered it off."

Her: "Yeah, I turned it off, just before I got you."

Me: "Oh, good. I love waiting for Win95 to boot."

...And these happened this morning... with the same user...

John