Re: FCRC: writing on the wall

  • From: Neil Doane <caine@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: technocracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 9 May 2000 15:48:38 -0700

* Steven Hunter (hunters@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) on [05-09-00 13:40] did utter:
> On Tue, 9 May 2000, John Madden wrote:
>
> > Well, next week is the doomed advisory board meeting, and things are looking
> > really, really bad for the FCRC.
>
> Well, I guess I'm glad I'm out then... :(
>
> > As far as I know, Roseanne's the chair of the board, and from my
> > conversation
> > with her this afternoon, things look bad, but they could be worse.
> > Basically,
> > the complaint is that too much money is being spent (much more than some
> > parts
> > of IT, from what I hear).
>
> Excuse me, but WTF?? As far as I could ever tell, the FCRC is pretty
> shit-poor...

Dood, the FCRC's budget has always been shit.  I mean, the whole time I was
there we were stuck fighting for whatever scraps we could get.  IMHO, the
FCRC _should_ probably be under IT if it's going to do "experimental"
computing like researching computing solutions for faculty and such...I
think the only reason they were where they are is because when the FCRC
_was_ under IT (or ACNS rather), Dr.Sher was a total nazi about how the
place should be run and kept us from doing alot of the stuff we wanted to
do, mainly because ACNS was so afraid of loosing total control of stuff like
servers.  The FCRC would probably have never been able to run their own
Linux boxen under ACNS rule.  Getting out from ACNS was both a good move and
a bad one; on the one hand the FCRC got to run services that didn't have to
be directly approved by ACNS and signed for in triplicate, on the other hand
the logic that experimental campus computing should be done by a department
that had nothing to do with the department on campus that ran the computer
infrastructure just didn't hold water and they gradually began to force the
FCRC into the bed they'd made for themselves...that of doing just distance
education typing work.  It's hard to justify a budget for campus computer
development to a department that isn't even remotely under the jurisdiction
of the computer center.  If the FCRC ever wants to become more than a typing
pool, it needs to get back under IT rule so it can get some real support
before IT decides 'well, we have no place to do research for faculty since
the FCRC just does distance education, let's make our own'.  If that
happens, the FCRC is just a memory.  But that's just my opinion, I could be
wrong.

Neil

       . /._ o /     --personal="caine@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"
      /|//- / /     --business="caine@xxxxxxxxxxx"