Re: FCRC: writing on the wall

  • From: John Madden <weez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: technocracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 9 May 2000 17:08:10 -0500

> Dood, the FCRC's budget has always been shit.  I mean, the whole time I was
> there we were stuck fighting for whatever scraps we could get.  IMHO, the
> FCRC _should_ probably be under IT if it's going to do "experimental"
> computing like researching computing solutions for faculty and such...I
> think the only reason they were where they are is because when the FCRC
> _was_ under IT (or ACNS rather), Dr.Sher was a total nazi about how the
> place should be run and kept us from doing alot of the stuff we wanted to
> do, mainly because ACNS was so afraid of loosing total control of stuff like
> servers.  The FCRC would probably have never been able to run their own
> Linux boxen under ACNS rule.  Getting out from ACNS was both a good move and
> a bad one; on the one hand the FCRC got to run services that didn't have to
> be directly approved by ACNS and signed for in triplicate, on the other hand
> the logic that experimental campus computing should be done by a department
> that had nothing to do with the department on campus that ran the computer
> infrastructure just didn't hold water and they gradually began to force the
> FCRC into the bed they'd made for themselves...that of doing just distance
> education typing work.  It's hard to justify a budget for campus computer
> development to a department that isn't even remotely under the jurisdiction
> of the computer center.  If the FCRC ever wants to become more than a typing
> pool, it needs to get back under IT rule so it can get some real support
> before IT decides 'well, we have no place to do research for faculty since
> the FCRC just does distance education, let's make our own'.  If that
> happens, the FCRC is just a memory.  But that's just my opinion, I could be
> wrong.

I have to agree here (at least, I think I'm agreeing?).  There are things that
the FCRC just shouldn't be doing.  I always thought they were just kinda the
MTR of computer-related stuff.  In other words, we run little databases, help
with webpages, do some programming, etc.  Now I don't see why IT would want to
do that sort of thing.

Doing things like running courseinfo, perhaps even these mailing lists (which
for the most part will no longer be on Yeah, btw) should be done by IT.  And
why do we even want em, anyway?

# John Madden  weez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx ICQ: 2EB9EA
# Sys-Admin / Webmaster, Avenir Web:
# LANdb: Network Admin Database -
# COMP: Computers & Internet discussion -
# Linux, Apache, Perl and C: All the best things in life are Free!