Re: FCRC: writing on the wall

  • From: Steven Hunter <hunters@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: technocracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 9 May 2000 14:41:40 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 9 May 2000, John Madden wrote:

> Well, next week is the doomed advisory board meeting, and things are looking
> really, really bad for the FCRC.

Well, I guess I'm glad I'm out then... :(

> As far as I know, Roseanne's the chair of the board, and from my conversation
> with her this afternoon, things look bad, but they could be worse.  Basically,
> the complaint is that too much money is being spent (much more than some parts
> of IT, from what I hear).

Excuse me, but WTF?? As far as I could ever tell, the FCRC is pretty
shit-poor...

> Since I'm still working for IT, and running Yeah, I
> kinda gave her the slip that "hey, I'm on the inside now, if you need
> anything..." because I think that what IT needs right now is warm fuzzies.

What IT needs is... Well I probably shouldn't say such things in
semi-public. ;)

> Bottom line: having Roseanne as the chair is a good thing- she may not make a
> lot of friends, but she'll at least approach the whole thing rationally.  I
> don't think she wants to see the FCRC disappear, but it may become her job to
> do so.

I hope you're right.

> Anyway, the other problems they see are:
> - Mismanagment: some feel that Chat did bad things or something.  I tried to

Like what?? *sigh* Chat was a great guy.

> allay "fears" with "Well, hopefully Shan will change things..."  But.. ugh.

Pardon me while I laugh... Ha!

> - Things are done that shouldn't be FCRC's area: They've got a point here.
> There's some stuff (courseinfo?) that the FCRC just shouldn't be doing.  I
> don't know a lot of specifics here though.

ARRRGGGHHH!!!! We didn't even *want* to do all that course-info
bull-shit!!!! But we were Made to!! Jumping Jesus Christ in a handbasket!
They can have it! We'd (well "they'd") love to give that up!

> - Does the FCRC comply with the "University Mission?"

What's the University Mission?

> I think what it all boils down to is that the FCRC as we know it will no
> longer
> exist by the end of the summer.  At the very least, the budget will probably
> be
> cut to shreds, and things like running servers may not fly anymore.  Who

How much more slashing can be done? Shesh...

> knows...  The point is, the FCRC is a neccessary group, and IT will regret it
> if they ever got rid of them (do they even realize the extent of the FCRC's
> reach?).

No, I don't think they do. And that's the problem, nobody really
understands what the FCRC does. IT certainly doesn't want to do it, but
they don't know that yet. I mean who in IT will do streaming video? Who's
going to do course-info support? Who's going to do one-on-one web course
development?

The FCRC is essential to making IT look good, and they don'teven know it.

> Well, those are the rumors that I'm hearing.  It isn't really necessarily any
> of my business, but I thought a lot of people around here might like to know.

Yes, thanks...

> If anyone can provide any other specifics, I'm sure we'd all like to hear
> them.
>  Having an "advisory board" deciding my employment future just seems...
> creepy...

No kidding...

Well, that's my $.03 rant... Back to life...

--
Steven Hunter  | hunters@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"Hyrdoplanning towards infinity... Just some drag-queens and, me." - Olly