[TechAssist] Re: Zenith Focus bleeder assy price increase

  • From: "LeRoy Westlund" <llw@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 22:30:10 -0600

Tony,
The last one of these that I done. I tried a Generic from H.B. Electronics
in Calif.
It was only $74.95.
I wasn't too impressed. I had to struggle to make it fit, and also the high
voltage leads were very hard to make them catch. I got by with it,...but, I
was never able to get the corner convergence as good as I thought it should
be. I think it had something to do with maybe a lower output voltage, then
the original. I spent way too much time trying to adjust the convergence. I
even had to change the width, and hight adjustments on the 9-1302 sweep
module, to compensate for a weak output from the bleeder. I truely believe
that IF I had used a Zenith OEM part to start with, the convergence would
have been easy to adjust.

I swore at that time, that I would rather pass up another Zenith PTV repair,
then to ever use a cheap generic bleeder again,......and I have lost TWO
jobs recently, on Zenith PTVs, because of too high pf preliminary estimates.
In my opinion,...they are just not worth it, unless you can get at least
$400-500 for that particular job. These Zenith PTVs, that use that bleeder,
are fast becoming a NO fix situation, because nobody in there right mind
wants to spend that much on a 10-12 year old PTV,   and we can't repair them
for less. Not when you have to fork out $186 for the part.

IMHO,
LLW

LeRoy Westlund
Westlund TV & Electronics
97 North Main                                "Where there's a will,...
Centerfield, UT 84622-0087           There's always a way."
Ph./Fax  435-528-3822
mailto:LLW@xxxxxxxxxx